Pets & Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol toxicity banner

After such a major holiday, we felt the need to share with you some of the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning in your cats and dogs in case they tried to get into the “holiday spirit.”

Alcohol is toxic to both cats and dogs and can cause immediate health problems as well as long term affects.

Some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Drooling
  • Panting
  • Weakness or Collapse
  • Vomiting
  • Dry Heaving
  • Elevated Heart Rate

Alcohol poisoning can cause low blood pressure, hypothermia, a bloated stomach (which can lead to a twisted stomach and is potentially lethal), respiratory problems, seizures, coma and even death.

Sometimes, alcohol poisoning happens in ways we don’t think of.  Rum soaked cakes, liquor candies, and unbaked dough can all be sources of alcohol to our pets.

Treatments for alcohol poisoning may vary based on the severity of the poisoning.  Activated charcoal is a liquid that your veterinarian may give to your pet.  Activated charcoal can prevent toxic substances (including things like rat poison) from being absorbed into the body.  IV fluids may also be administered to keep your pet from getting dehydrated.

If you see any of these signs or know your pet ingested alcohol , we recommend talking to your veterinarian immediately as well as seeking veterinary attention.

If you don’t have a regular veterinarian, you can contact Sandstone Animal Hospital at (440)-234-6336 or shoot us an email at contactus@sandstoneanimalhospital.com with any questions or concerns about your pet.